Friday, March 4, 2011
We’re Bugging Out All Over!
I will, of course, be ordering insect larva from InsectLore.com soon, but I want the insects to be alive during our Open House in the month of May, so I am going to try to time it just right to make that happen. Last year, they all died just in time for the big day! We also have an incubator and a nice lady in town that gives us chicken eggs, so we’ll soon be having an adventure in hatching chicken eggs, too!
As for me, it seems that no sooner have I come back from the SDE conference in Oklahoma, I am off next week on Wednesday for ASCD’s PreK and K Conference in Schaumburg, Illinois! I’m thankful that my district administrators are so supportive and let me attend these conferences, and I must say that about this time of year, I am equally thankful that “conference season” is coming to a close! I have no more speaking engagements scheduled again until May, when I present at the International Reading Association Conference in Orlando, FL, and then that’s it until summer. For more info on conferences that I will be presenting at, please check my website for dates.
Spring Bulletin Boards
I love putting up spring bulletin boards! It is so refreshing to take down the stark white snowy backgrounds we have been staring at since the beginning of December and replace them with some nice, bright colors. The flowery background that I use for all of my bulletin boards (except the winter ones, of course) are made by dipping some toy cars into green paint and then rolling them on the paper! If you do that a bunch of times, you’ll have some wispy, grassy stems, especially if you can find some toy cars with some interesting tread patterns and different sizes of tires. Then, we added flowers painted with Q-tips and small paint brushes.
In addition to the grassy flowers, I am including a free download of my patterns for the bee and the ladybug this week. The directions for each are included. I am thinking that maybe next year I will reduce the ladybug in size so that it matches the bee a little bit better, because it seems a little bit too large. Also, since I now have TWENTY-SEVEN students (insert heavy sigh here...), we are running out of room to display everyone’s work, so smaller projects will fit better in the available space.
Insect Sight Word Surprise
“Sight Word Surprise” water color resist project. I managed to create this little insect themed paper while sitting on the airplane to the conference in Oklahoma! I also made another one with shamrocks that I will be sharing with you next week. To do this, all you have to do is get a very cheap white crayon, such as the Roseart brand, and write a sight word in the circled spaces as shown. I run the copies on white cardstock, FYI. Then let the children water color the paper as they wish to make the secret sight word appear. When they are dry, you can drill the children on the words that they have painted. I always write a variety of sight words in the spaces so that there are several to read.
Ladybug Color By Nonsense Words Worksheet
HeidiSongs Facebook page is the feedback I am getting regarding the projects that I am posting on my blog! I really like it when people tell me what is working for them and what is not. It also helps me to know what you would want more of! That is precisely why I made more of the Shark Teeth Addition Worksheets that we posted for sale last week. And that is also exactly why I made another Color By Nonsense word worksheet to share with you today! My class did this on Wednesday, and they really liked it. Of course, the students in the lower functioning groups had a bit more trouble with it and needed more guidance, but that is true of anything.
Number Pattern Blocks
Alphabet Pattern Blocks that I have told you about in previous blogs? Well, now we have NUMBER pattern blocks- and they go all the way from zero to thirty! My husband, being so good with printers and graphics and such, managed to get them all printed up on beautiful glossy white cardstock. They are printed in color on the front and black and white on the back. The printed cards just came in, and I used them on Thursday to review the numbers twelve and twenty-one. I made copies of the twelve and twenty-one pages in black and white, and then glued them down on a large sheet of construction paper Then I had the children rebuild these numbers with paper pattern blocks and glue them down. After that, they took rubber stamps and stamped the correct number of stamps above their number, circling groups of ten. I was even lucky enough to borrow some insect stamps from the teacher next door, too! If the children made too many stamps, then they had to cross those out. Tomorrow I am going to drill the children on the numbers by holding up their finished projects. Fun!